Saturday, September 21, 2013

Week 3

3rd Week of school-
We had an awesome week! All of the students are learning the procedures very well. They are becoming very comfortable with each other too; making lots of friends.

We are slowly adding more Sign Language signs to our daily routine. Thanks goes to Eliza and her mother for teaching us new signs everyday! Every day when we come in from recess I use signs to see if they need to use the restroom or get a drink of water and they respond with a yes or no sign. Next week as we begin practicing our letters we will as well learn our letter signs!

This week our focus in Social Studies was butterflies! We made Lap books, which I will send home on Monday. We labeled our butterflies and talked about the lifecycle. We even watched a video of the life cycle which they loved! In art we talked about symmetry to accompany our unit. Students painted butterflies, and when they were done pressed both sides together to make it symmetrical.







In daily five we added two new things: Listen to Reading and Word Work. The students have the routine down very well, and are saying they love doing it. It is my favorite time of day too, the students are all quietly reading, writing, and working with words. The best part though is this is the time where authentic learning is happening! Next week I will begin working with students one on one and in one more week begin small groups.







In math we are continuing to learn how to use all of the manipulatives, including computers. On Friday, they learned how to use the workstation board and find where they should be. Next week we begin lessons on counting.
I have to say all of my students are becoming very independent, which amazes me and I am very proud of. Some examples are in Daily 5 they pick where they will sit in the room, in math they look to see what station they work at, they grab that station and pick a place to sit in the room, and while walking in line the line leader leads us not me!

Next week we begin digging into our curriculum, now that our class has a routine down. We will be doing dibbles testing all next week. Lastly, in Social Studies we will be talking about families.


As well, look out for our October calendar and a News Letter next week. There are a lot of fun things going on in October!

*For easier access, I have added a link on my blog to follow me by email so you can receive an email when I post a blog each week.*

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Thank you,
Mrs. Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment