Saturday, October 26, 2013

10-21

I hope everyone is enjoying their three day weekend! I am happy to say I have all of the report cards done, and am looking forward to seeing everyone next week. I will be sending a reminder home on Monday for the dates and times for conferences.

Focus Wall:
Literacy:     Beginning Sounds
Math:    I can count to 25
           I can recognize and write my numbers 1-8
Bible: Psalm 119:10 – I will seek the lord with all my heart.
Social Studies: Pumpkins

This last week I tested all of the students on their reading levels so I can begin sending home books with students that is at their right level. Most students are starting at a level A. By the end of the year our goal is to be at a level D.

As well, as most of you seen I have begun to send home decodable readers that we practice at school. These are great to practice sight words and to build fluency. We practice about 2-3 a week and I will continue to send these home. If students read it 5 times to someone they can earn a pint for our class. Last week we earned 7 points towards our party! We need 50 more to earn the party.

In math we will start working with teen numbers and beginning concepts of addition.

In social studies we are learning about pumpkins, which will go great with our field trip next week! We started using our science journals this week. We measured how big around our pumpkins were, weighed them, predicted if they float or sink, and labeled the parts of a pumpkin. I wish I would have taken pictures of this! Science is one of my favorite subjects to teach, the children get so excited over it.

Important notes for next week:
Field trip: we will be leaving at 8:30ish and return around 11:00ish. Please dress students based on the weather. You can bring an extra change of clothes if they are staying for after care as well. Please send students with at least $5.00 to get in and get a pumpkin.

Parent Conferences: Thursday and Friday are conferences. I look forward to seeing everyone!

Tuesday volunteer: If anyone would like to help in the classroom on Tuesday afternoon we will be cutting open our pumpkins and taking the seeds out. We will be attempting to grow our own pumpkins inside of the old ones. I have not done this before but have heard it works well.  It should be a fun experience.


P.s. I am sorry for not having any pictures this week. I will make sure to have some next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment