Monday, January 5, 2015

January 5th

Happy New Years! I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and is ready to come back to school! Sorry about not posting over our break. I was enjoying it a little too much=)
Starting on the 5th there will be a little schedule change. We have weaned out our rest time in the afternoon. Most students did great today, and were a little happy about it=). They may be a little more tired for a while but I will make sure to have calm down times throughout the day. Instead of rest time we will be starting our writing period, which I am very excited about!

Notes
-         Please make sure to practice sight words every night, or at least most nights. I am very persistent on this because I know how much it helps in reading. So please, please practice!
-         Report cards are coming up in a few weeks. I will be meeting with any new students and anyone else who would like a conference. I will be sending out an email soon about this. I enjoy meeting with parents, so even if there are no problems please feel free to still request a conference!
    Mrs. Strickland is sending out an email tomorrow to see if any parents have good video or pictures from the play, so keep  your eyes out for that, and hopefully we will have some to post!

Literacy-
In Daily 5 we are working on blending sounds and hearing the final sound in a word. We are also continuing to work on our letters and new sight words each week.
-K.RF.2c- I can put together word parts. I can take apart word parts.
-K. RF.1d-I know and can name all of the letters of the alphabet.
K.RF.2d- I can read CVC words. I can say each sound in a word.
- K.RF.3c- I can read sight words.

Writing-
I am so excited about the writing unit we have started. This month students will be working on personal narratives by making their own books. Their goals are to generate a topic on their own, use pictures and/or words to tell a story, forms recognizable letters, and can hear and record most consonant letter sounds. I will be sending home their work and a rubric of how they did at the end of the month.
K.L.1a- I can print upper and lowercase letters
K.L.2- I can write sentences.
W.K.3-  Use pictures and words to write a story.

Math-
This week we are beginning a new chapter on number bonds. Ask your child if they know what this means=) I hope most of them know by now, we do it in calendar every day. Number bonds are when you put 2 numbers together to make a new number. Right now they understand it with manipulatives, but with pictures they get confused.

This would be a great thing to practice at home. Saying 2 gold fish and 2 gold fish make 4 gold fish. This is a big part of our addition and subtraction later on.
K.OA.3- I can show different ways to make a number that is less than or equal to 10.

Social Studies-

We are beginning our Seasons/ Weather unit. Look for some fun pictures to come!

Thanks!
Mrs. Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment